Roses Are Pink Your Feet Really Stink

Have you ever read the story, Roses Are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink? This story is one of my favorite Valentine stories to read!! I have read this book to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade classrooms. Each grade level has gotten a kick out of it and caused some laughter between all grade levels. The author, Diane deGroat, has written several stories about a funny boy named Gilbert. This Valentine story has Gilbert writing two unfriendly valentines to his classmates. Gilbert's little prank turns against him until he has a change of heart on Valentine's Day and corrects his mistake.  
Not only is this story cute and funny, but it teaches a valuable lesson on how we treat others. This is also a great book to practice rhyming and writing poems. Two thumbs up from me!

After reading this story, we write our own Valentine poems starting with Roses are red, Violets are blue... and using rhyming words on every other line. Students come up with some cute and creative poems! The book has many examples to use too.

Use the FREE Valentine notes below that I created for students to write Valentine Poems to other classmates, friends, or family members. A great way to support Community Learning within your classroom. Click on the picture below to download this FREE Valentine Notes to create your own poems. Just cut out and fold in half. These are instant cards to practice writing Valentine Poems. 


Free Valentine Notes for Poems
Here are just a few poems we came up with...
Roses are red, violets are blue,
I think you're sweet
and I like you too!

Violets are blue, Roses are pink,
I like when we play
let's go to the skating rink!

Roses are red, candy is sweet.
I love chocolate so much,
I can't get enough to eat!

Here is the link for the book:
Roses are Pink Your Feet Really Stink

Here are some of my other favorite Valentine books to read to students:
Pete the Cat Valentine's Day is Cool
Froggy's First Kiss

What is your favorite book to read for Valentine's Day?

Here are some older blog posts I wrote about Valentine's Day. Click the links below to grab more freebies for Valentine's Day:
Free Valentine Writing Prompts
Free Activity with Conversation Hearts
Valentine Games and Ideas
Free Valentine Cards
Eye Love Equal Groups

Here is a pack of poems to write with 3rd-5th graders. This pack covers 10 poems to write. It includes an example page, a writing page, and a final writing page. Click the pictures below to be taken to my TPT store to read more about these poems. 


Thanks for stopping by today!
Happy Valentine's Day,




2 comments

  1. This is one of my favorite Valentine stories too! I just found your blog and am your newest follower! Come visit sometime. http://primarypossibilities.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I love your site and I am already following you. =)

      Delete